Friday, December 5, 2008

Greg Maddux to retire

Los Angeles Dodgers starting pitcher, Greg Maddux, is scheduled to announce his retirement Monday, December 8 at 2:30pm EST. After his 23 year career, Maddux has finally called it quits.

Maddux is a four time Cy Young Award winner has the eighth most career wins with 355, one more than Roger Clemens.

Maddux was by no means known for his overpowering fastball, but more his control which is a lost art in the modern day game of baseball.

"I try to do two things: locate my fastball and change speeds. That's it," Maddux said at one point in his career. "I try to keep it as simple as possible. I just throw my fastball [to] both sides of the plate and change speed every now and then. There's no special food or anything like that. I just try to make quality pitches and try to be prepared each time I go out there."

Maddux, in his 23 year career has issued just 999 walks and struck out 3,371. The only other pitcher in Major League Baseball history to have 3,000 strikeouts and less than 1,000 walks.

No comments: